- Created: 25 November 2013
Between November 25 and December 10, women's shelters and crisis centres on every continent engage their communities as part of the vibrant annual 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence campaign.
From Peace in the Home to Peace in the World: Let's Challenge Militarism and End Violence Against Women!
We are advocating for awareness and action on the intersections of gender-based violence and militarism. Militarism also has a significant impact on the struggle for women's economic and social rights and the ways those rights are impacted by violence against women and children. Militarism creates and normalizes a culture of fear that is supported by the use or threat of violence, aggression, as well as military intervention in response to political and social disputes or to enforce economic and political interests.
The impact of militarism on violence against women is a critical issue for many women and children who seek support at the women's centres, shelters, transition houses and networks that created GNWS. The impact of the rape of women and youth as a war tactic has far reaching consequences to communities.
The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence is an international campaign started at the first Women's Global Leadership Institute coordinated by the Center for Women's Global Leadership in 1991. Participants chose the dates November 25 (International Day Against Violence Against Women) and December 10 (International Human Rights Day) in order to symbolically link violence against women and human rights and to emphasize that such violence is a violation of human rights. The 16 Days Campaign is used as an organizing strategy by individuals and groups around the world to call for the elimination of all forms of violence against women and girls.
- Official Campaign Website: 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence
- 2014 Campaign Calendar: search events, post information about your events
- 2014 Take Action Kit: 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence
- Facebook Page: 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence
- November 25 - December 6 White Ribbon Campaign
- November 25 International Day For the Elimination of Violence Against Women
- November 29 International Women Human Rights Defenders Day
- December 1 International AIDS Day
- December 3 International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- December 5 International Volunteer Day
- December 6 The 25th Anniversary of the Montreal Massacre and Canada's National Day of Action and Remembrance
- December 10 International Human Rights Day